The Grade II listed Fortune Theatre, although modest in size, is a historical landmark in a number of respects. When it opened its doors in 1924 it was the first new theatre to be completed in the West End after WWI. Designed by Ernest Schaufelberg, it broke completely with established traditions in British theatre design in its construction, architectural expression, auditorium form and ornamental treatment.
Foster Wilson Architects, working with John Muir, was responsible for restoring the crumbling concrete fa.ade. By returning the tonal contrast between wall face and the applied ornament, the original simple geometry of the facade has been recovered.