The Harold Pinter theatre, formerly the Comedy Theatre, was designed by Thomas Verity and built in just six months in 1881. It is Grade II listed and one of the most intimate theatres in the West End.
Foster Wilson Architects, working with John Muir, have undertaken restoration work in a number of phases that have included a complete internal re-decoration and restoration of the facades. Badly damaged in the war, the theatre facades were hastily re-built in the 1950s with fletton brick and brittle cement mortar. During the project we worked with repair specialists to retain original moulding profiles, while dressing the pediment and cills in lead to protect the fa.ade from future water damage.
The statue of Euterpe (one of the nine muses) was gilded in gold leaf by paint specialists Hare and Humphries as part of the renovation.